A garden that’s always in bloom? Yes, you can make it a reality! In fact, our location here in the South is in our favor when it comes to maintaining color in our landscape year-round, and it’s not as hard as you may think. With a little planning, you’ll be showing off your handiwork in no time.
Before you put your hands in the dirt, consider these tips:
- Select a combination of perennials (plants that return every year) and annuals (plants that complete their life cycle in one season) to ensure that you have blooms in your garden at all times.
- Choose at least two types of plants that will flower together during each season.
- Select shrubs that have a good deal of color in their foliage all season long.(Evergreens are great for adding color & interest through all seasons!)
Okay, now I’m ready to plant! Now what?
- Arrange the potted plants to get a sense of your design. Obviously, now is the time to make changes before your plants go in the ground.
- Space is your friend. Remember to allow for it so your plants will grow full and wide.
- Plant from the back of the bed to the front.
- Incorporate mulch to help retain moisture and keep weeds at bay.
- Be patient! Many perennials take two full years to reach their full beauty. Your newly-planted garden will take some time to fill in, but once it does, you can enjoy it year-round!
Come see us at any of our four locations in Northwest Arkansas, and we’ll be glad to get you started and answer any questions. Good luck in the garden!